Friday, October 23, 2015

Supergirl airs on CBS on Monday after Big Bang Theory and I hope it will be good.

The Supergirl pilot airs Monday on CBS directly after Big Bang Theory. I know the pilot leaked online about six months ago, but I never bothered tracking it down and watching it. Instead, I'm content to wait it out just a few more days and watch it live on CBS. I'm sure it'll be good. Why? Because I trust the showrunner, Greg Berlanti, who is the genius behind the CW's amazing comic book adaptations of Green Arrow and The Flash. Also, I gotta say that I love the idea of Supergirl. She's absolutely got the power to deal with heavy hitter supervillains, and it's going to be different than yet another Superman reboot (which has been done to death).

But there are a few nagging questions that I have. The first is obviously whether or not Supergirl will take place in the same universe as Arrow and The Flash. I think it would be awesome to have crossovers galore on television, but I'm not so sure how CBS would feel about doing that with the CW. Additionally, is Supergirl going to be unapologetically a girl? And if so, will that turn some people off when the character of Kara is in non-superhero mode? And I wonder if there will be any sexist trolls that come out complaining that the actress doesn't feature an "in your face" rack for men to stare at.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the latest tv spot, I'm including it below. Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

  1. I've always been confused about Supergirl? How did she escape Krypton? I guess the program will answer this and other questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She escaped Krypton in the same way that Kal-El (Superman) did. She just got sent in a different ship.

      Delete
  2. I watched the pilot when it leaked and loved it. For me it felt nothing like Arrow though there are some similarities with the Flash, mainly in the vulnerabilities shown by the leads. I got the feeling from reading online comments that most hard core comic fans hated the pilot because it focused too much on her femininity. I hope the showrunners didn't change it due to the feedback.

    One thing I loved about the leaked pilot is it didn't portray her as a hot girl in tight spandex. She is young, cute, vulnerable, and good at her job when she isn't wearing the cape. I really hope it becomes a breakout hit because the entertainment industry has ignored this part of the comic industry as lead characters for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if there will be crossovers but the fact that CBS owns 50% of CW makes it more likely. Warner Bros. owns the other half of the CW and has made all the Batman/Superman movies. Warner Bros. also is the backers of Berlanti Productions. A DC universe wouldn't be hard to create since most of the production is in one house.

    In the past, DC has said the movie universes are different from the TV shows but I think they really should copy Marvel in this area. It's not like continuity has ever been comic's strong suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't trust anything on CBS. They specialize in dreck which is how they got to #1 but I suppose I'm just being a narcissist again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who have an inflated sense of self will readily admit they are narcissists if they're asked just one straightforward question, a new study suggests.

      "Narcissists aren't afraid to tell you they're narcissists," said study co-author Brad Bushman, a communications and psychology professor at The Ohio State University. "They're not embarrassed about it at all." So yep. You are. :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't know about Greg Berlanti's involvement (obviously, I haven't been following the show at all). I love what he'd done with Arrow and The Flash, so while I hadn't planned to watch, perhaps I will now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I need. Another show. I'm so behind as it is, I'm tempted to give this a skip. Probably won't, but I'm tempted.

    ReplyDelete