Wednesday, January 13, 2016

This is how Kylo Ren's lightsaber works from the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary

Yes, I bought the Visual Dictionary for the Force Awakens because I'm really nerdy and you all should know that. The freakin' illustrations are really cool, and they answer a lot of questions. But the big one that I had (and I know you probably have too) is why does Kylo Ren's lightsaber look so rough and jagged?

Well it turns out that he's using a cracked kyber crystal. It's also an ancient design that (according to the visual dictionary) "dates back thousands of years to the Great Scourge of Malachor. The crossguard blades, or quillions, are tributaries of the primary central blade."
Pretty cool, right? You can thank me in the comments. Oh and I will be posting more cool stuff from the visual dictionary. I love how detailed the Star Wars universe is. But I guess you can afford it when you are the movie with the highest gross money grab in history.

9 comments:

  1. Yup, that's nerdy. But if you're that big of a fan, then it's cool.
    Third largest grosses in history, although no doubt it will pass Titanic. Will it pass Avatar? Its foreign take is really going to have to increase for that to happen. But it will be close.
    Proves how desperate people were for a good Star Wars movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nerdy aside, I find all the details interesting. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to show this post to my significant other. He's been talking about that light saber ever since we saw the movie last month.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not use a non cracked crystal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he didn't have access to one. It's probably a supply/demand thing. I get the impression that in the greater Star Wars universe, that something has happened or changed in the Force.

      Delete
  5. From what I understand, he cracked the crystal trying to tune it because he hasn't actually had full training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't really noticed his lightsaber. Yeah, I'm not as nerdy as I pretend to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds plain awesome. I bought nine books today on a binge and I feel fabulous. I'll look into this one as it sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the details they've come up with for Star Wars never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete